For a town of Halifax's size it has a fine selection of parks and open spaces. The main photo above and again seen from a distance in the picture on the right is Savile Park. Once known as Skircoat Moor (and still known as the 'moor' by locals), it was used for pasturing cattle and sheep until it was purchased from Captain Henry Savile by Halifax Corporation in 1866 and renamed in his honour. It is the site of the annual Halifax Agricultural Show.
Adjacent to Savile Park is Manor Heath where you will find a children's play area, walled gardens, Jungle Experience and a cafe. It is also the location of the Halifax Charity Gala, held on the second Saturday in June.
People's Park was created and gifted to Halifax by Sir Francis Crossley, son of John Crossley who owned Dean Clough mills. The park was designed by Joseph Paxton (designer of the Crystal Palace) and was completely refurbished and restored in the mid 1990's.
Shroggs Park is another green space made possible my Sir Henry Savile, who leased the land to halifax Corporation for 999 years with an annual rent of £1. The park itself was built by Colonel Edward Akroyd, another Halifax businessman and benefactor and was opened in 1881.
Shibden Park, set in the Shibden valley on the outskirts of Halifax, has been open since 1926. It owes much of its present appearance to its owner in the 1800's, Anne Lister who
was responsible for much of the landscaping of the grounds of her house, Shibden Hall, which can still be seen within the park and is open to the public. Apart from the hall itself other facilities at the park include boating lake, cafe, miniature railway, pitch & putt and children's play area. See Shibden Park for details.
Within the boundaries of Halifax there are good walks to be found, such as the Hebble Trail, Shibden Valley and, of course, as much of the Calder & Hebble Navigation canal as you wish to walk or cycle.